206 South Main St.
Galena, IL 61036
One-half block north of the DeSoto House Hotel
Open Today Until 5:00 pm
|Monday||10:00 am - 5:00 pm|
|Tuesday||10:00 am - 5:00 pm|
|Wednesday||10:00 am - 5:00 pm|
|Thursday||10:00 am - 5:00 pm|
|Friday||10:00 am - 5:00 pm|
|Saturday||9:00 am - 6:00 pm|
|Sunday||10:00 am - 4:00 pm|
Julie Bruser & Tom Saccomanno Franchise Store OwnersView Our Store Site
Bird Study Findings Are Alarming!
3 Billion Birds Lost According to New Study
A new study, published in the journal, Science, https://science.sciencemag.org/cgi/doi/10.1126/science.aaw1313, has found that the population of breeding birds in the US and Canada has dropped by nearly 30% (or 3 billion birds) since 1970. The study is a collaboration between avian and conservation scientists, led by Ken Rosenberg from the Cornell Lab of Ornithology and American Bird Conservancy.
While there are some discouraging findings about overall bird populations in the study, there are encouraging examples of how galvanized human effort can work to bring back our birds. Examples include Raptors (+200%), Waterfowl (+56%) and Woodpeckers (+18%). We can indeed make a difference.
What Can We Do?
There are things that all of us can do to help the birds:
· Make Windows Safer - use window clings to prevent birds from crashing into your windows
· Keep Cats Indoors - this will not only save birds, but it will help keep your cats safer and healthier, too!
· Plant Native Plants & Trees
· Watch Birds! The more you watch, the better you appreciate them!
· Avoid Pesticides in your yard. FYI, our Wild Birds Unlimited seed blends do not contain fillers, which means a reduction in pesticide use across thousands of acres of crops.
· Reduce Use of Plastics
Be sure to visit www.3BillionBirds.org for more information about the study and additional resources.